How To Add Texture to Text in Photoshop
Learn exactly how simple it is to add texture to text using Adobe Photoshop with these easy to follow steps and video tutorial.
If you’ve ever been curious to know how someone gets that beautiful watercolor look on their text, or seen a pretty gold foil logo (like mine!), then you will be happy to know that it’s really very simple process. You will need Photoshop and your favorite watercolor, foil or other texture image to get started.
Start by watching this quick little video I shot, and then you can read on to the step by step instructions below for any clarification.
How to Add Texture to Text in Photoshop
- Start by opening up a new document. Choose the size you want your finished piece to be, and if you want it to have a transparent background or not.
- Next, choose the type tool (T) and type out your text.
If you are creating a piece that will have two or more fonts, or needs to be broken into several layers that is fine too. Choose all of the fonts, layers and complete layout you are going for. Then select all of your text layers in the layers panel, right click and choose “convert to smart object”
- Then insert your texture or color image. For this project, I chose a pink and gray watercolor image I made using the iPad Pro and Procreate app. You can use a gold foil texture, watercolor or even a photograph for this step. The fastest way to add it to your photoshop file is to drag and drop it.
- Next, you will make the image or texture a clipping mask. There are two ways you can do this. The first is to right click on the image in the layers panel and choose “make clipping mask”.
The other way is to hold down the OPTION key on a Mac or CTRL key on PC and hover over the line between the image layer and text layer. You will see a little icon that looks like a white square and a down arrow appear. Just click and you will create a clipping mask.
- You can move the image around behind the text to get the placement you want.
See how easy that was?! 5 simple steps and you know how to add texture to text in Photoshop!
You may also enjoy:
- How to Make Mockups and Stock Photos
- How to Make Social Media Templates
- How to Remove a White Background from an Image